top of page
Dr Rae Sandler Simon, denver marriage & family therapy, hawaii mental health

What is the fee for services?

  • Individuals: $185/45 minutes (M-F, 8am-5:30pm HST)

  • Couples:  $245/60 minutes (M-F, 8am-5:30pm HST)

  • Phone Consults: $185/45 minutes (M-F, 8am-5:30pm HST)

  • Clinical and Professional Consultative Services:  $185/45  minutes  (M-F, 8am-5:30pm HST)

  • Emergency or After-Hours Consultations: $450/45  minutes (5:30pm to 8am HST, all hours Sat & Sun)

  • See below for information about sliding scale and scholarship programs.

Do you offer sliding scale rates?

In addition to providing free counseling services to all families and staff at Brent's Place in Denver, CO, and the Tutu & Me HVP in Hawaii, I also offer sliding-scale fee scholarship programs.  I believe that all people not only have the right to high-quality mental health care, but everyone deserves access to the best care possible.  As such, I offer scholarships which base your fees for service on an individual or couples' annual household income, including:

Live & Love Well Scholarship Program,

Public Service Employees Discount Program,

Native Hawaiian Kanaka Scholarship Program.   

All scholarships are based on a first come, first serve basis and are based on her availability.  


I also offer a 25% discount on all services to Public Service Employees, including Police, EMT/Paramedic, Firefighter and All Active/Retired Military Personnel.

I am committed to honoring the Kanaka / Native Hawaiians and their ancestors, on who's native land my family and I live. Please speak with me directly to identify a service fee that works for your family.

Where do you offer therapy services?

I own and operate my practice out of Colorado (License #3404) and Hawaii (License #1972).  I meet with clients both in person and via Telehealth video or phone therapy.  I also have Authority to Practice Interjurisdictional Telepsychology (APIT) within the following states:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.


How is therapy different than talking to a close friend or family member?

If you have never been to a psychologist before, you may find making that first call intimidating.  Some people may question

the idea of needing therapy when they have close friends or family to confide in.


Friends and family are excellent sources of healing and support. Sharing your thoughts, feelings, fears, or concerns with a psychologist is different than talking with a close, personal friend. Therapy gives you a place to talk with an objective person who may give you a different perspective outside of your immediate circle.  

As a psychologist, my purpose is to listen to you intently, without the attachment to the history of your relationships, without judgment, and with the capability to teach you the tools necessary to cope more effectively on your own.


Asking another person for help takes courage.  I am here to encourage and guide you along a journey that will absolutely lead to living the life you want. 

How is a Psychologist different than other therapists?

There are varying degrees and levels of requirements for mental health practitioners:

A Licensed Psychologist (the license and degree level that I hold) must hold a doctorate degree in psychology and have one year of post-doctoral supervision.  Therapists holding this degree can refer to themselves as a "psychologist, doctor, therapist, or counselor."

A Licensed Clinical Social Worker, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and a Licensed Professional Counselor must hold a masters degree in their profession and have two years of post-masters supervision.  Therapists holding this degree can refer to themselves as a "psychotherapist, therapist, or counselor."

A Licensed Social Worker must hold a masters degree in social work.  They may refer to themselves as a "therapist, counselor, or psychotherapist."

A Psychologist Candidate, a Marriage and Family Therapist Candidate, and a Licensed Professional Counselor Candidate must hold the necessary licensing degree and be in the process of completing the required supervision for licensure.

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who received such degree from medical school.  He or she is given the privilege of prescribing medication as well as providing talk therapy depending on their specific training.  Therapists holding this degree can refer to themselves as a "psychologist, doctor, therapist, or counselor."

What is the first meeting like?

Our first meeting will not be a regular therapy session.  We will use the time to review your paperwork; for you to ask questions and understand the therapeutic process; for us to determine if we are a good fit; and, most importantly, we will set short and long-term goals for the successful completion of our work together.  You will leave our meeting with a renewed sense of hope and a clear understanding of our journey ahead. 

The key to a secure therapeutic relationship is goodness-of-fit.  If, for any reason, either of us decide that we are not a good fit, I will refer you to an appropriate provider(s) whom I believe might be a better fit.  If we do decide to continue working together we continue treatment from there.  Please note that although the first session is formally the initial consultation, the first three meetings are a time for both of us to determine if our work is going to be long or short-term, and for us to finalize our decision to work together. 

The length of the first session will also be different from each following session as well.  This 60-90 minute session (instead of the typical 45 minute session) will allow us to explore your health, therapeutic, family and social history.    We will set the tone for our journey together, and set realistic and exciting goals for your best life.  

Can I pay for services with my credit card or flexible health savings account (HSA)?

Absolutely.  Going to and paying for therapy should be as convenient for you as possible.  Therefore, I accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and personal checks.  Clients are responsible for payment at the time services are rendered.  

What if I need to cancel last minute? 

In the event that you need to cancel an appointment, please give me notice within 72 hours of your scheduled appointment time.  If you do not provide a 72 hour notice or you do not attend your scheduled session, I do charge a full session fee.  I do understand that there are some extenuating circumstances; therefore, we will discuss if a cancellation is due to an emergency or something that would have allowed you to give me fair notice.

What types of insurance do you accept?

I do not directly bill through any insurance or medical plan.  However, I can provide you with insurance-ready statements detailing any direct payments you have made.  These statements can be used to initiate the reimbursement process privately through your insurance company. 

Do you prescribe medication?

As a licensed clinical psychologist I am certified to provide talk therapy treatment.  Licensed psychologists cannot prescribe medication.  Research shows that patients who use medication to treat behavioral or emotional issues find the most successful outcome when psychotropic medication is combined with talk therapy.  Although psychologists are not licensed to prescribe medication, I frequently refer back and forth with psychiatrists and physicians to assist in our work together.

bottom of page